A Gyaru Guide to Birmingham, England

Disclaimer: spending money was gifted by Hotels but all views are my own.

I can’t tell you how excited I am for the Gyaru Jubilee event. The Paris meet is still fresh in my mind and I can’t wait for the partying, photos, and para para! In the lead up to the event I decided to put together a post on the gyaru guide to everything Birmingham for those who are planning on staying longer than a weekend (and for those that are, there are plenty of lush hotels in Birmingham for you to stay in). Birmingham rivals London in my eyes for it’s wide range of activities, and it’s only getting better and better.

A Gyaru Guide to Birmingham by hellolizziebee

Caffe Chino

A few bubble tea cafes have been cropping up in Birmingham, but none can replace Caffe Chino in my heart. It’s quite hidden in Chinatown but does get rather busy as it’s so well-known in the area, so I always try to go there after lunchtime when the crowd has died down. They do delicious bubble waffles there too which have become a fast favourite of mine.

Unit B107, Arcadian Centre, 70 Hurst Street, B5 4TD

Bullring

Forever21

Gals love shopping and the Bullring + Grand Central is the best place for it! I always start at Grand Central and then slowly make my way to the Bullring via Link Street, and my spending begins at Debenhams’ beauty section. There’s also a Forever21 there which is a long-time favourite of the UK gals, as well as Claires Accessories and Superdrug. You can spend hours in here walking around, so I suggest taking some comfortable flats with you.

Tokyo Toys – Anime + Manga Store

Tokyo Toys manga and gaming store in Birmingham by hellolizziebee

There aren’t many Japanese shops around in Birmingham so I get my fill at Tokyo Toys where they sell, well, lots of toys! They sell a lot of anime merchandise, collectable items as well as Pocky, and gosh I could spend all day in there trying to decide which plushies to buy. The staff are really friendly there, too!

31 Corporated Street, B2 4LS

Dolce Lounge Desserts

Dolce Dessert Lounge's pancake topped with strawberries, brownies and nutella

Dolce lounge is located a bit far from the centre (well, about a 10-15 minutes walk) but it’s well worth it. It is a small dessert cafe and the pancakes are absolutely mouth-watering. They have cookie dough and other sundaes there too!

203 Corporation Street, B4 6SE

Mr Mulligan’s

Mr Mulligan crazy golf course

Ran Kotobuki would be pleased with this place because not only can you play crazy golf, but they have lots of food there, too. Next to Mr Mulligan’s is a bowling alley, Hollywood Bowl, and there’s also an Odeon cinema directly opposite, a Frankie and Benny’s restaurant, as well as a casino… Plenty of places a gal could have fun! All of these places are located at Broadway Plaza, so I would recommend getting an uber if you’re travelling from the centre (it should cost no more than £6 to get there).

The Cube, Lane 7 Level 6, Wharfside Street, B1 1RN

Buffalo + Rye

Buffalo and Rye Americano restaurant

One of my favourite things about Birmingham is the food, and boy I love Buffalo + Rye. It wasn’t up until recently that I tried their food as I usually just have a drink there but the burgers are amazing! There’s a really friendly atmosphere there but I would definitely recommend booking as it gets really busy, really quickly.

11 Bennetts Hill, B2 5RS

Be At One

Be at One cocktail bar in Birmingham

What can I say? (Most) gyaru love to party, and Birmingham has so many cocktail bars to offer but Be At One is one of my favourites. It’s in a super convenient area located just opposite New Street Station and the music there is brilliant as they always have some 80s music (and sometimes 90s) playing. They do the occasional ‘new’ song but I do love it when Whitney Houston blasts through the speakers.

Piccadilly Arcade, B2 4BJ

Ming Moon

Ming Moon's 'KPop' karaoke room by hellolizziebee

KARAOKE AND CHINESE BUFFETS, Y’ALL! Ming Moon is the best karaoke place I’ve ever been too because not only is it, dare I say it, super instagrammable but you can also have a buffet while you’re doing your thang on karaoke. Oh, and cocktails! A gal meet in Brum feels weird without a karaoke session, and it’s an old favourite of ours (we went there for our previous gyaru meet).

Pin me for later!

A gyaru guide to birmingham by hellolizziebee

I hope you have enjoyed this gyaru guide to Birmingham and have discovered all of the amazing things that Brum (as locals call it)  has to offer. There were plenty more activities that I wanted to include, so there might be a part 2 coming up in future (because who knows, maybe some new places would open!)

If you have any questions, please let me know.

In the meantime… Have any of you been to Birmingham before? What places would you recommend?

Love,
Lizzie xx

hellolizziebee

Lizzie is a gyaru blogger based in the land of Harry Potter and afternoon tea. You can find her either snacking or napping.

Find me on: Web

20 Comments

1. Amber Janko
    March 4, 2019 / 8:33 pm

Ooh if you do a part 2, you should feature that cocktail place by the Mailbox, their Japanese-inspired dishes are really good! Plus the bar is just really stylish.

• March 4, 2019 / 8:44 pm

Oooh yes, Aluna! I absolutely love that place! Will definitely pop them in. Thanks so much cutie <3

2. March 5, 2019 / 12:56 am

Oh, all the food looks delish!

3. Jenny in Neverland
    March 5, 2019 / 11:12 am

I want to come to Birmingham and have a day out with you! So many amazing sounding places here. My boyfriend is originally from Birmingham but I’ve still never been!

Jenny

• March 5, 2019 / 11:32 am

Awh that would be lovely! There’s just so much to do there, I could’ve written so much more for this post!

4. Ellen Penelo
    March 6, 2019 / 9:33 am

I’ve not really ever had too much chance to explore Birmingham since I’ve only been for gigs and trade shows, but I do really love Natural Kitchen! It’s a really lovely buffet style vegan restaurant where you pay by the weight of your food, they also have a nice shop inside too. Also I don’t drink, but as far as bars/pubs go Cherry Red’s is cool! We used it to escape the rain one night and just had a nice chill atmosphere and played some good music! Reminded me a bit of our favourite pub in Brighton~ Also I like Selfridges in the Bull Ring just because it’s so huge and there’s so much stuff! Not that I could afford anything haha

• March 6, 2019 / 11:00 am

Oooh I haven’t heard of those places before! I want to try out more vegan options so will have to pop into natural kitchen when I next go to Birmingham! Thank you so much for the recommendations xx

5. March 7, 2019 / 7:54 am

It’s weird I’m so local yet barely been around Birmingham, we often go to raves (techno nights) around there. But looking at some of these places to eat, I’m thinking we should set off earlier and eat out x

• March 7, 2019 / 8:06 am

Ooh I’ve never been to a rave before but I’ve heard that Birmingham is really good for it! And you so should… There’s just so many amazing food places there!

6. March 7, 2019 / 1:48 pm

I live not far from Birmingham but haven’t been there in, gosh, maybe 25 years! O_O The only place that I know of is Ming Moon! So many fun places though. 😀

Sarah 🌺 || Boxnip

• March 7, 2019 / 9:06 pm

Wow, 25 years is a very long time! I’m happy to hear that Ming Moon is still around since you last went, because I absolutely love that place

7. March 7, 2019 / 5:45 pm

I live not too far from Birmingham now, in Cheltenham, and have never been! I definitely need to now though!

• March 7, 2019 / 9:05 pm

Ooh yes you should! It’s an ever-growing city and I can’t wait for more things to pop up!

8. March 8, 2019 / 3:59 pm

I have never been to Birmingham, but I would love to visit England one day! The bubble waffles look delicious & Mr Mulligan’s looks like fun place to visit!

Karalee

• March 9, 2019 / 10:12 am

Tbh I love Birmingham so I’m a bit biased, but it’s growing every year! Thank you so much

9. March 8, 2019 / 6:35 pm

I recently moved to the Uk so I haven’t had that much time to explore but after reading this post I definitely wanna visit Birmingham now! The karaoke place sounds so like so much fun!

• March 9, 2019 / 10:13 am

Ooh whereabouts have you moved to? And you so should!

10. March 13, 2019 / 12:05 pm

These places look so fun! I think we have some places like that but they’re spread out pretty far lol. Do you have any places to get Japanese curry? Do you like curry?

• March 14, 2019 / 8:23 am

Yes there’s a really nice Japanese place I go to and I’m going to do a blog post about it in the future! Thank you so much